WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Angelic Harmony
TheFirstKnight
Ikazu Raiken
CLAIRVOYANTdisease
SickSelfishSyQo
Always-Abby
tsuki_uchiha
Little_Shiro
amaterasu
NarutoBoyFreakah
seshimazi
Meika-Chan
knssquad
KarateKeyaQ
Titaniumxvx
Sasori Kung fu masta
CrispinFreemanWatcher16
Aichu
spyke543
PeinQAkatsuki
3.2.1.0.84.NG!
AtaruSabrMaster
quater
27 posters

The Worse book you have ever read

Poll

Who assigned this book?

[ 14 ]
    The Worse book you have ever read 2HwAlpQ78%The Worse book you have ever read ORIszmu [78%] 
    [ 2 ]
    The Worse book you have ever read 2HwAlpQ11%The Worse book you have ever read ORIszmu [11%] 
    [ 2 ]
    The Worse book you have ever read 2HwAlpQ11%The Worse book you have ever read ORIszmu [11%] 

Total Votes: 18
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Number of posts : 118119
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru! NCS WOTN Veteran Princes! Soul Eaters
    Village : Scorpion
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-05-21

AMP
    Natural: 56
    Power: Flood Attack
    Instinct: 50

The Worse book you have ever read Empty The Worse book you have ever read

Post by quater Wed Sep 24 2008, 20:49

I have a theory. It's quite simple. The School assigns the worse books we will ever read to us. That's the theory. They do it to "Open our minds to new ideas" which is basically code for "You're gonna read a bad book and you're gonna like it cause we are schools and hold all power".

So what is the worst book you have ever read? Describe it a little, what you disliked about it, and then did you do it for fun, or because schools said so.

I'll go first one of the worst books I can ever remember reading is 'The Poisonwood Bible'. Just an awful awful book. It was about a mission family that moved to Africa to mission only to learn that Africa hates them, then the family falls apart with the little girl dying, the dad being ditched in africa, and the rest of the family turning atheist and one turning communist (The one that still said she loved America and read the Bible they made look like an idiot). Proof is I found this book on a suggested readings list right along with a book by Malcolm X and Mao Zedong. It was summer reading.

Another abomination I had to read was 'Brand New World'. The premise was okay but really just an atrocity to man and the same theme as The Poisonwood Bible which is civilized man seems to be more uncivilized and abmonable then the savages of the earth and it will just make us all miserable etc etc etc.

And the third that I really remember as being hideous in all forms was 'Black Boy'. I didn't enjoy it at all, in fact I could only manage 80 pages of the book before I was like "This is exhausting". It wasn't so much the civil rights eraness which I am used to in books and have no problems with but what it was was just the main character was the most selfish person on Earth (or it seemed to me he was). He continously ditched his little brother to pursue a better life for himself or out just plain greediness that it irritated me to no end and there was no REAL reason for him to do it.

Both school mandatory. In fact the only book I ever enjoyed reading the school assigned us was 'Animal Farm'. That's it.
    AtaruSabrMaster
    AtaruSabrMaster
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 6499
    What's up Tab : Doing stuff...you know...\"stuff\"
    Fanclubs : Neji & Kiba FC, WOTN Brigade
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-11-28

AMP
    Natural: 0
    Power: 0
    Instinct: 0

The Worse book you have ever read Empty Re: The Worse book you have ever read

Post by AtaruSabrMaster Wed Sep 24 2008, 20:50

The Giver was the worst book i've ever read...terrible

kids giving naked old ppl bathes...weirdos
    3.2.1.0.84.NG!
    3.2.1.0.84.NG!
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 13153
    What's up Tab : Jayme + Nikki = AMAZING AWESOMENESS!!
    The Worse book you have ever read 004
    Fanclubs : Pretty Boys' FC, Jesus Freaks Disciples' Club
    Village : Lion
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue85 / 10085 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

AMP
    Natural: 43
    Power: 43
    Instinct: 43

Post by 3.2.1.0.84.NG! Wed Sep 24 2008, 20:55

AtaruSabrMaster wrote:The Giver was the worst book i've ever read...terrible

kids giving naked old ppl bathes...weirdos

yea, i read that book. it was dumb. it made me wish i was dead.
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 27316
    What's up Tab : Homie Purp && Homie Blue: Ghetto since 2009
    The Worse book you have ever read Ightning
    PeinQ & ThiCup: Non-photogenic buddies~ :D
    Fanclubs : Deidara FC, Kabuto FC, Jesus Freaks club, FMA FC, Tobi FC, Soul Eater FC :D, Death Note FC :D
    Village : Mockingbird
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-25

AMP
    Natural: 2
    Power:
    Instinct: 2

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Wed Sep 24 2008, 20:59

The giver was okay. I wasn't too crazy about it. I don't realy know what book was the worse.
    spyke543
    spyke543
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 1773
    Village : Cops
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-06-19

AMP
    Natural: 224
    Power: 352
    Instinct: 301

Post by spyke543 Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:00

Similar to the what book are you reading thread?
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 3180
    What's up Tab : The sky, apparently.
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-15

AMP
    Natural: 3
    Power: 3
    Instinct: 3

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:00

...We don't read a lot of books at school :/ The kids in my school are to stupid to read books. Most illiterate province in Canada, yo. So I can't say there were too many books I hated. In fact, I absolutely adored Lord of the Flies and the Pigman. Those were both excellent books.

The Outsiders...it wasn't terrible or anything, but you can definitely tell the author is young and inexperience. Actually, the movie was better. Which is sacrilege. But true.

Cue for Treason...wtf? I thought it was supposed to take place during the medieval times, but the characters were acting like a bunch of modern teenagers! And the ZOMG big plot twist where the dude turned out to be a girl was so overused in its gender and extremely predictable. And the kids talking to Queen Elizabeth...give me a break.

Romeo and Juliet. It's really over-rated. They were stupid. Enough said.

Worst book I've ever had to read in school? The hatchet by Gary Paulsen. In the fourth grade. That book literally tramatized me so badly I begged my mom to call the teacher and tell her not to force us to read it.
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Fanclubs : Deidara FC, Kabuto FC, Jesus Freaks club, FMA FC, Tobi FC, Soul Eater FC :D, Death Note FC :D
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:03

Oh, those books that say that they know about the Native Americans, but they're just as naive as the dead pop can next to me.
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 37490
    Fanclubs : NaruHina & SasuSaku FC,WOTN Veteran Princes
    Village : Military
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue98 / 10098 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-08-16

AMP
    Natural: 11
    Instinct: 11

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:03

A separate piece
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:04

PeinQAkatsuki wrote:Oh, those books that say that they know about the Native Americans, but they're just as naive as the dead pop can next to me.

We read one like that once...Finders Keepers or something like that? Horrible book. Forgot about that one. I must have been repressing the memories.
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:05

Aichu wrote:
    PeinQAkatsuki wrote:Oh, those books that say that they know about the Native Americans, but they're just as naive as the dead pop can next to me.

We read one like that once...Finders Keepers or something like that? Horrible book. Forgot about that one. I must have been repressing the memories.
    I heard about that book. I tried to read something that had the word Beaver mountain or river or creek or stream or something. It was really horrible.
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue98 / 10098 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:06

The Odyssey --last yr
    Sasori Kung fu masta
    Sasori Kung fu masta
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 37077
    What's up Tab : The Worse book you have ever read ThMori-Sempai
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru, n00b controll squad, Deidara,
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Natural: 16
    Power: 16
    Instinct: 16

Post by Sasori Kung fu masta Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:07

ew the Giver!!

I read that in like 7th grade.
    friggin hated it. -_-
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:09

CrispinFreemanWatcher16 wrote:The Odyssey --last yr

I actually liked that one Hehehe... I read it independently though, and not for school. Which is probably the big breaker, because school makes you do endless amounts of questions for every single chapter.

Wouldn't it just be easier and more effective to let us write an independant novel study at the end of the book rather that quizzing us on the make of the character's car? Seriously... Sobbing
    Titaniumxvx
    Titaniumxvx
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 21997
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Natural: 5
    Power:
    Instinct: 5

Post by Titaniumxvx Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:09

Rebecca was just terrible in the beginning how they spent pages describing the imagery of the flowers and the trees and the bushes. I threw it down and yelled at it calling it things much worse than a gardening magazine.

I liked the Giver though. The author may have been long old when she wrote it but she still made Jonas a bit of a pervert like all teenagers in how he had dreams of that girl. But he more than makes up for that in his selflessness and the way he is willing to burden himself with all of the lazy junk like memories that the people are not willing to have
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:09

I luved the outsiders and the giver.

I kinda hated To Kill a Mocking Bird.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:10

No Spyke this is not related to the Which book are you reading now because this is a part of my social experiment to prove American schools are out to destroy us. Which is not related. Plus we all have read books we hate might as well rant about them somewhere?

I kinda liked Outsiders and movies are often better then books (Yes they are Xp) They are so much less work for starters!

And The Giver was stupid.
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:10

To Kill a Mockingbird was hard to get into. Then it was pretty cool when I finally got my attention span to stay.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:10

Aichu wrote:

I actually liked that one Hehehe... I read it independently though, and not for school. Which is probably the big breaker, because school makes you do endless amounts of questions for every single chapter.

Wouldn't it just be easier and more effective to let us write an independant novel study at the end of the book rather that quizzing us on the make of the character's car? Seriously... Sobbing

I would think it's better then doing stupid questions. But that's me.
    3.2.1.0.84.NG!
    3.2.1.0.84.NG!
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 13153
    What's up Tab : Jayme + Nikki = AMAZING AWESOMENESS!!
    The Worse book you have ever read 004
    Fanclubs : Pretty Boys' FC, Jesus Freaks Disciples' Club
    Village : Lion
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue85 / 10085 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

AMP
    Natural: 43
    Power: 43
    Instinct: 43

Post by 3.2.1.0.84.NG! Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:11

the book "Wilderness" by Roddy Doyle sucked. i had to read it cuz my teacher made me T_T

The Outsiders was a great book. i really liked it. The Giver was just plain boring for me.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 41152
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-10-30

AMP

Post by KarateKeyaQ Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:12

I don't read books the school tells me too.

I've read some books by Nora Roberts and Dean Koontz though. Hated them.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:12

3.2.1.0.84.NG! wrote:the book "Wilderness" by Roddy Doyle sucked. i had to read it cuz my teacher made me T_T

The Outsiders was a great book. i really liked it. The Giver was just plain boring for me.

That's about my analysis of the two books. The Giver felt like nothing ever happened, and the Outsiders was good for the most part (I kinda got weirded out after they ran away but then the gang fight drew me back in)
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:13

The outsider's was an interesting story, and I did enjoy it, but it wasn't very well written. Like that scene with the fire. I think it went something like "a burning piece of wood hit him on the back" ._.

Q. I am going to shoot you for that statement.

To Kill a Mockingbird was pretty good- a little drawn out at times, but the ending was awesome.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 41152
    Happiness bar :
    The Worse book you have ever read Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100The Worse book you have ever read Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-10-30

AMP

Post by KarateKeyaQ Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:13

I liked that xD

I hated Romeo and Juliet though.
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:15

quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

I would think it's better then doing stupid questions. But that's me.

Exactly!
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Wed Sep 24 2008, 21:15

KarateKeyaQ wrote:
    I liked that xD

I hated Romeo and Juliet though.

I knooooow. Romeo and Juliet was a bunch of dumb teen angst.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14 2024, 12:14