WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
KarateKeyaQ
sabaku no ketsueki
Toshii
quater
amaterasu
9 posters

Debate corner

amaterasu
    amaterasu
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 34165
    Village : Lion
    Happiness bar :
    Debate corner Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Debate corner Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-07-11

AMP
    Natural: 0
    Power: 0
    Instinct: 0

Debate corner Empty Debate corner

Post by amaterasu Thu Jun 24 2010, 13:52

Okay, Well I have thrown this up a few times before, and all of the times have been shot down before by Q.

But if it was a place where there were strict rules like no one line phrase like

"your statement sucks"

And we keep a tight cap on insults, then it could work. Besides there is really no discussion threads on important topics in our world today
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Number of posts : 118119
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru! NCS WOTN Veteran Princes! Soul Eaters
    Village : Scorpion
    Happiness bar :
    Debate corner Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Debate corner Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-05-21

AMP
    Natural: 56
    Power: Flood Attack
    Instinct: 50

Debate corner Empty Re: Debate corner

Post by quater Thu Jun 24 2010, 14:36

I still say no.

The ramen shop works fine for controversial topics. And why we need a place on the site for people to get all riled up over this and that, I do not understand. There is no thread you could put in a Debate Corner that couldn't just as easily fit into the Ramen Shop. But the Debate Corner will become a place of anger, frustration, arguing, and the general unpleasantness that all Debate Corners on all websites have had. They will make people upset and fight and what will be the gain? So that debates don't erupt in the Ramen Shop? When that happens once a year or two?

The fact is the Ramen Shop actually protects topics from getting too filled in hate. Only debaters will go to the Debate Corner which means serious stuffy people with stubbornness to their core will run amuck. But in the Ramen Shop you will have light hearted users, the average person, and the random spammer. These people break the flows of serious threads and help keep them from becoming too attackish. Among other reasons why the Ramen Shop works better. The Debate Corner will be a place for tempers to flare but the Ramen Shop is an easy going posting place.

And the only way to keep people from getting angry is to place such extreme rules and moderate so heavily that there would be no point in its existence.

I make my case.
    amaterasu
    amaterasu
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by amaterasu Thu Jun 24 2010, 14:58

Well besides your first paragraph being based off of assumptions that people cannot control what they type. Many people say they are Christian here, and other as I have witnessed are not really clawing at your throat type of people, your saying that they will become angry at every post in opposite view or whatnot. Also, i don't think I've really seen any site that has a debating corner care to point some out so I could check out what your saying?

As for the Ramen shop, its not really a chat spot anymore

its full of redundant threads
    such as
    The Good Stuff
    What did you do?
    What's on your mind?
    What bugs you?
    MLIS, MLIA, or MLIG Tell us about your life
    What's awesome in your life?
    What do you like?

Those are the most post in these days. And the rest besides random pics and its derivatives are lost and no one posts in there.

//But in the Ramen Shop you will have light hearted users, the average person, and the random spammer. These people break the flows of serious threads and help keep them from becoming too attackish.//

First off, these same people post everywhere else, so really the first phrase is not really useful. Also, where are there serious threads on WOTN besides the News and Update Section and the Kage's lounge? And also no one really attacks anyone since Jose and Punkfilter left so long ago.
    I think the first and only time someone outlandishly attacked me was in my first year and none after that (not counter our talks)

Although if your saying make debating topics in the Ramen Shop that sounds good, and not have a debate corner, because you do have a point about people probably being scared to go in there, although I don't think your said those words exactly.

But really, those who post in the debating threads will me mature people, or those who have confidence that they can have a debate without starting a flame war (SSS for example or Lunami) and those who may not have confidence enough to bring forth arguments or are scared of the long posts wouldn't post there (most people under 15 or so)
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Thu Jun 24 2010, 15:10

" Also, i don't think I've really seen any site that has a debating corner care to point some out so I could check out what your saying?"

Are you serious? I'm not going to provide you a list to other sites, but you can't be serious. I have been on lots of different sites, for mostly recruiting purposes, and most of them had Debate Corners of some kind. Maybe then name was different, but the purpose was the same.

And I am basing this exactly off my experiences on those sites. Look up pretty much any forum on the internet Ama and you'll find something resembling a place to debate.

And if you don't like the ramen shop, how will moving all the controversial threads out of there make it any better? If we just move all our debates on grandiose ideas to another place on the site, won't the Ramen Shop become even more bland? Wouldn't the way to make the Ramen Shop better be to put more interesting topics there, not less?

"First off, these same people post everywhere else, so really the first phrase is not really useful." No, they don't. These people usually ignore the News and Updates section (A serious area) and the Opinion part of the Blogs (Another serious area). And might I add, we do have an Opinion area in the blogs, if you so desperately need to post controversial stuff in a controversial section. And if I recall you and I had quite the bout there over something stupid, no? If you and I can argue over it, what pray tell gives you hope in everyone else?

"Also, where are there serious threads on WOTN besides the News and Update Section and the Kage's lounge?" Again, if you want serious threads, put them up yourself. Don't rely on us to make a section for them. Show some initiative. And there have been plenty of arguments across the board since PF and Jose left. And these would get a lot worse if they had their own section to argue in.

"Although if your saying make debating topics in the Ramen Shop that sounds good, and not have a debate corner, because you do have a point about people probably being scared to go in there, although I don't think your said those words exactly."
    No actually that was one of my points. Lighthearted nice users would avoid the debate corner because they don't want to get in fights that are over their heads. So people like you, and me, and a few others would spend all our times there banging each other with clubs. It'd be fun for no one.

It is laughable that the people there will be much more mature than the average users. Users like JZ-Kun (Noffense to the guy) has made the most debate topics so far on the site, and he wasn't what I would call exactly mature. In fact I think more mature users will avoid the place in hopes of not getting in a fight. And I can base that on as much evidence as you can base that the people there will be mature. So don't say I based it on assumptions anymore than you are.

And I still don't see why we need it. Again, what purpose does a debate corner solve that debate threads in the Ramen Shop can't just as easily serve. A place for mature people to meet and argue? Why? Why can't they do this in the Ramen Shop instead? Maybe it'll bring more mature people to the Ramen Shop and more interesting topics to the Ramen Shop. If you don't like how the Ramen Shop is, fix it. Click new topic and starter up. There's almost no rules on here anyway, so there's nothing stopping ya.
    amaterasu
    amaterasu
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by amaterasu Thu Jun 24 2010, 15:44

Well I am serious. Just because you know a lot of site (good for you by the way) doesn't mean everyone else does, so please don't lookat me with your own standards.

Well what controversial topics are there in the Ramen shop that have been posted in within the last two months.

I don't think taking them out will kill the dinosaurs or something. I didn't even propose that so yeah >.>

I forgot about those blog sections, oh well I guess that is a debatable place, forgive the pun, and no I don't remember debating with you over something stupid, but I guess that is because i have memory loss! Also, I don't know what you mean by
    //what pray tell gives you hope in everyone else? //
    I don't get it

My friend said (his user is zen like lemons) says: Dear Q get a 4th grade education kthxbai

anyways

Your not understanding what I mean by serious threads, I said

//Also, where are there serious threads on WOTN besides the News and Update Section and the Kage's lounge?//

as in, WOTN doesn't have seriousness usually, its mostly spam. I wasn't saying why don't we have any of these

Ugh, I don't want to reply to the last two paragraphs but you might have a point, i really didn't read them, except for the last one, but I forget what they were saying when I am typing this.

All I remember is that
    a) Debates suck
    b) no one would do them
    c) if you want to have debates make your own debating threads in the Ramen shop

quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Thu Jun 24 2010, 16:48

"Well what controversial topics are there in the Ramen shop that have been posted in within the last two months."

Any news thread I've posted could be controversial if you wanted it to be.

"I don't think taking them out will kill the dinosaurs or something. I didn't even propose that so yeah >.>"

That made little sense to me.

"My friend said (his user is zen like lemons) says: Dear Q get a 4th grade education kthxbai
    "

Comments like these are so so lovely and helpful. By the way, the fact that we get comments like these in a non debate area totally make me think we won't in a "debate corner" from the oh so mature internet.

"All I remember is that
    a) Debates suck
    b) no one would do them
    c) if you want to have debates make your own debating threads in the Ramen shop"

Right, which none of those were my points but the last one. And Ama if you can't even discuss your idea openly with someone else who disagrees with you, what on Earth makes you think you should be in a debate corner? Where we debate philosophies, science, and religion? You can't even let your idea stand up to criticism.

"//Also, where are there serious threads on WOTN besides the News and Update Section and the Kage's lounge?//"

And I said if you want serious threads, makes some. In the places we have open now. There is no rule against posting serious threads in the Ramen Shop.

Do you remember the Evolution Versus Creation Thread? No, likely you don't. Well I'll explain what happened. It was a thread, in the Ramen Shop, and we had lots and lots of debates there. Lots of fights broke out and people got mad at each other. But you know what happened? The thread eventually lost it's attraction, sank to the bottom of the Ramen Shop, and the people who got in fights aren't there forgot about their differences and get along fine. But in a Debate Corner, the same threads never go away, and these fights would become longer, drawn out, harsher, and harder to forget. And there won't be the subtle fadeness of time like we had with the Evolution Versus Creation thread in the Ramen Shop, because the threads will never go away. They will always be sitting there, ready for a fight.

That is why the Ramen Shop is better for these kinds of things. And if you can't bother to 'reply' or 'read' this post, then forget about anyone passing your idea. Again, if you can't even let your idea stand up to criticism here, by me, then there's no way on earth you should even be in a debate section.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 61517
    What's up Tab : Debate corner Ajqwx0
    Fanclubs : Neji & Kiba
    Village : Dragon
    Happiness bar :
    Debate corner Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Debate corner Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-26

AMP
    Natural: 700
    Power: 700
    Instinct: 700

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Thu Jun 24 2010, 18:11

Have you not noticed a lot of the debates that happen on here can turn in to fights, especially when someone is set on being right? ... yeah, debates are fun.. but sometimes people get tooooooooooo in to them ._.
    Toshii
    Toshii
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 57667
    What's up Tab : Debate corner 90vl38 Toshiro~ ^_^ x3
    Cat~ Debate corner 263hco0
    Shadows of Loneliness - Chapter 11
    My mind is a complicated thing even to me.
    Fanclubs : Debate corner Fyhhqb
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2009-09-21

AMP
    Natural:
    Power:
    Instinct:

Post by Toshii Thu Jun 24 2010, 18:34

CLAIRVOYANTdisease wrote:Have you not noticed a lot of the debates that happen on here can turn in to fights, especially when someone is set on being right? ... yeah, debates are fun.. but sometimes people get tooooooooooo in to them ._.

+1~ :D

i agree. fights mostly harm than resolve in my opinion.
    sabaku no ketsueki
    sabaku no ketsueki
    Sanda
    Sanda

Female
    Number of posts : 22230
    What's up Tab : Life is tough, but it's even tougher when you're stupid.
    Fanclubs : Kabuto FC, Death Note FC
    Village : Mockingbird
    Happiness bar :
    Debate corner Left_bar_bleue61 / 10061 / 100Debate corner Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-09-19

AMP

Post by sabaku no ketsueki Thu Jun 24 2010, 22:20

A debate over having a debating section.
    I LOVE IT.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 41152
    Village : Cops
    Happiness bar :
    Debate corner Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Debate corner Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-10-30

AMP
    Natural: 2
    Instinct: 2

Post by KarateKeyaQ Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:02

sabaku no ketsueki wrote:A debate over having a debating section.
    I LOVE IT.
    Saba, you're awesome, haha.
    Toshii
    Toshii
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 57667
    What's up Tab : Debate corner 90vl38 Toshiro~ ^_^ x3
    Cat~ Debate corner 263hco0
    Shadows of Loneliness - Chapter 11
    My mind is a complicated thing even to me.
    Fanclubs : Debate corner Fyhhqb
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2009-09-21

AMP
    Natural:
    Power:
    Instinct:

Post by Toshii Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:14

^ LOL nice~ :3
    sabaku no ketsueki
    sabaku no ketsueki
    Sanda
    Sanda

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by sabaku no ketsueki Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:48

It's just hilarious. Like a rant about how rants are dumb.

Though, for teh record, I think a debate seciton is a good idea.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:52

Naturally you do. Personally the idea sounds good. It's just that in practice this idea has less than desirable results.
    Mikel
    Mikel
    General
    General

Male
    Number of posts : 12074
    What's up Tab :
    Spoiler:

Fanclubs : That jack-o-lantern.
    Village : Military
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2009-05-01

AMP
    Natural: 46
    Power: Earth Armor
    Instinct: 26

Post by Mikel Sat Jun 26 2010, 10:19

=O uhm, debate is all good and all and all, i think D: but i agree with qlala D: and if there are many angry people, and they get so frustrated, they might leave the site! D: that's a bad bad thing D: ne? D:
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Sat Jun 26 2010, 13:35

quater wrote:Naturally you do. Personally the idea sounds good. It's just that in practice this idea has less than desirable results.
    Exactly. I love debating.. but then I end up getting heated -__-;;
    sabaku no ketsueki
    sabaku no ketsueki
    Sanda
    Sanda

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by sabaku no ketsueki Sat Jun 26 2010, 17:54

You people are no fun!
    If you can't handle a debate, you can't handle much. I'm sorry, but really. Maybe face to face it's worse, but online you get as long as you want to think out your arguement, and you can look up stuff. Well, that's kind of cheating, but eh.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by KarateKeyaQ Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:29

Why get mad when someone doesn't share your opinion?
    That's life.

I think a debate corner/thread/whatever is a good idea.
    But I wouldn't recommend it.
    Banouin
    Banouin
    Ryuujin
    Ryuujin

Male
    Number of posts : 46551
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2007-06-12

AMP
    Natural: 11
    Power: Wind Tornado
    Instinct: 11

Post by Banouin Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:39

KarateKeyaQ wrote:Why get mad when someone doesn't share your opinion?
    That's life.

I think a debate corner/thread/whatever is a good idea.
    But I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting mad at others that don't agree with you and think you're wrong is also a part of life.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by KarateKeyaQ Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:41

It wont do any good though. Just a waste of energy. Getting angry won't make them change their opinion.
    Banouin
    Banouin
    Ryuujin
    Ryuujin

Male
    Number of posts : 46551
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2007-06-12

AMP
    Natural: 11
    Power: Wind Tornado
    Instinct: 11

Post by Banouin Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:44

Getting mad never helps, but can you say you never get mad?
    I sure as heck do. Someone takes something said the wrong way.
    I have done it a ton of times when I thought Q was being a bit mean. So has he. He may not get mad, but it just ends bad for us.

*Waits for Q to come in here and say he never gets mad.

Trust us. We have had it on sites before in the past.

They. Do. Not. Help. ;D
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:49

They don't.

And as I said, we're allowed to have debates. Just do it in the Ramen Shop. We don't need a debate section.

Do we have a question thread section? Or a pictures section? Or many many other kinds of threads sections?

Naw, you just put em up in the Ramen Shop. Same with debate threads. It's not like there's a rule against debating. I just don't want a specific part of the site dedicated to debating. I think it's bad for the site. But if you want to have a debate, feel free too. As this thread proves, debates can pop up anywhere. We don't need a portion of the site for it.
    KarateKeyaQ
    KarateKeyaQ
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by KarateKeyaQ Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:50

I never said we should add it ^_^ I don't think it'd help much either. Unlike some, I don't find debating too fun.

I suck at them! xD
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sat Jun 26 2010, 20:53

KarateKeyaQ wrote:I never said we should add it ^_^ I don't think it'd help much either. Unlike some, I don't find debating too fun.

I suck at them! xD

It's okay, I do too! ^_^
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Sun Jun 27 2010, 06:51

I get mad when I debate, cause half the time it feels like the other side doesn't even see my side of the debate/argument. So they're like "Yeah, yeah..well..........." haha

But then again, I get mad a lot *shrugs*

Eh, if there was a debate section I'd probably join in, but if there isn't people can still use the blog section or the ramen shop to debate with people, or share their opinion :3
    Yoyo
    Yoyo
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 73947
    What's up Tab : Debate corner JK0f7
    "Shoot a mushroom I don't even know anymore."
    : Yoyo's Fanfic :
    I won't stop caring about you~ Q
    I am: the CEO of Confusion
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2007-10-25

AMP
    Natural: 50
    Power: Fire Fist
    Instinct: 44

Post by Yoyo Sun Jun 27 2010, 14:51

sabaku no ketsueki wrote:A debate over having a debating section.
    I LOVE IT.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Yoyo's say is that we don't need a debate section. I'm not gonna bother reading any of the posts here, though, because it's a Q vs. Ama debate and those melt my brain.
    If you really wanna debate, then use the Ramen Shop or Blogs or PM or AIM or whatever like everyone has already been doing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 11:01