WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Angelic Harmony
teikiatsu
quater
Aichu
Sayomi Hatake
PeinQAkatsuki
amaterasu
11 posters

General Debate thread

amaterasu
    amaterasu
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 34165
    Village : Lion
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-07-11

AMP
    Natural: 0
    Power: 0
    Instinct: 0

General Debate thread - Page 2 Empty Re: General Debate thread

Post by amaterasu Thu Sep 11 2008, 20:29

no swearing is bad no matter what time or place or situation. Your words reflect what your heart is, if you continue to swear like that it is evident your heart has evil in it, but if you use encouraging words your heart is filled with love
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 27316
    What's up Tab : Homie Purp && Homie Blue: Ghetto since 2009
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Ightning
    PeinQ & ThiCup: Non-photogenic buddies~ :D
    Fanclubs : Deidara FC, Kabuto FC, Jesus Freaks club, FMA FC, Tobi FC, Soul Eater FC :D, Death Note FC :D
    Village : Mockingbird
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-25

AMP
    Natural: 2
    Power:
    Instinct: 2

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Thu Sep 11 2008, 23:13

Meh. I cuss all the time. I'm beginning to not care anymore.
    teikiatsu
    teikiatsu
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 2871
    What's up Tab : i exist to make people feel better about themselves
    Village : Dragon
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-06-13

AMP
    Natural: 37
    Power: 35
    Instinct: 35

Post by teikiatsu Fri Sep 12 2008, 01:37

u know
    most of the swear words are bad coz
    they were used to cover actual swears de gozaru

PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Fanclubs : Deidara FC, Kabuto FC, Jesus Freaks club, FMA FC, Tobi FC, Soul Eater FC :D, Death Note FC :D
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Fri Sep 12 2008, 10:31

Woah, seriously?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Number of posts : 118119
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru! NCS WOTN Veteran Princes! Soul Eaters
    Village : Scorpion
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-05-21

AMP
    Natural: 56
    Power: Flood Attack
    Instinct: 50

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 16:12

Personally I don't swear just because what you say reflects who you are and swearing just looks like someone who is bitter or uneducated.
    InnerCherry
    InnerCherry
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 1119
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-22

AMP
    Natural: 0
    Power: 0
    Instinct: 0

Post by InnerCherry Fri Sep 12 2008, 16:22

PeinQAkatsuki wrote:
    Sayomi Hatake wrote:
    PeinQAkatsuki wrote:
    Sayomi Hatake wrote:
    PeinQAkatsuki wrote:Oh, that's true too. We're allowed to voice our opinions, but we're not free to voice them to someone of authority really.

well you can but someone with authority would probably have the power to punish you .. lol so you can still voice your opinion but there will be consequences.... XD
    XD So we really have partial freedom of speech. We can say it, but we'll be persecuted for it XD

yes that is how it goes Bwahaha lol ...*sigh*
    XD So there's half freedom of speech. XD

Honestly, I think that if a person isn't ready to accept the consequences of their actions o words, they shouldn't say or so them in the first place.
    teikiatsu
    teikiatsu
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 2871
    What's up Tab : i exist to make people feel better about themselves
    Village : Dragon
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-06-13

AMP
    Natural: 37
    Power: 35
    Instinct: 35

Post by teikiatsu Fri Sep 12 2008, 21:07

"crap" is one of the most recent cover words
    its not even registered in the dictionary yet de gozaru
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 3180
    What's up Tab : The sky, apparently.
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-15

AMP
    Natural: 3
    Power: 3
    Instinct: 3

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 22:39

New debate, yo!

Now, I bet a lot of you don't go around swearing IRL *HINT HINT* I don't, because swearing is wrong not to mention disrespectful.

But what about in writing? Should cursing (or other innappropriate content for that matter) be censored to create a clean story, or does it take away from the piece?

I use cursing sometimes in my writing, 99% of the time by characters who are depicted as having a poor quality of morals. I do this because, to be honest, knowing this character's personality and their values, they are not going to say something like 'Jee-Whiz!' in an intense situation. However, I don't care to see characters dropping a swear bomb two or three times per page. Why? Because it's unnecessary. You can craft a vulgar character without being too vulgar. Same goes with other content, such as that of violent or sexual nature. If the story revolves around gritty violence, show that there's gritty violence, but just don't show too much. It's kind of like doing a cabaret with your content (good grief, that's a horrible way to put it). Leave the most part up to the imagination of the reader (however extensive it may be depends upon the individual), but show enough so that the mood is set. Same with sexual content: It depends on necessity. Dumb romantic comedies that idolize sex for the sake of sex= BAD. However, a movie which shows the harships of women in the sex industry without being graphic is good, because it uses it's content in a way which serves a purpose to reflect upong our society without flaunting its content. I guess it kind of bugs me when Chrisitan movie review sites (plugged in online for instance) decide that a 'clean' movie needs to sugar coat reality. They will claim a movie is "too dark", and if a main character doesn't suceed in their goals, they will call the movie "un-fullfilling". Truthfully, IN REAL LIFE darkness occurs, and people stumble and never find their way. But this can still be used to portray a message- we can learn from this person's mistakes. Not all endings are happy endings. How does this relate to the whole cursing thing? Well, it's the same kind of sugar coating. People do swear, especially bad people. True, there's no need to be extravagent in our curse usage, but for a morally deprived character, 'Jee-wiz' just won't cut it.

Your thoughts?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 22:51

It depends.

If the person publishing the work decides to censor it, don't they have the right.

For example, if online I decide to censor a curse word, as an admin and someone in charge of this site, don't I have a right to? I am not impending on your freedoms of speech here, because it's "My" site and "I" make the rules (Not really but I am using this as an example so work with me).

Same for Publishers. They are the ones putting money into it so they have the right to decide what's published and what goes in it.

Now should people edit over your text to get rid of the cursing (Not publishers) of course not. Not without permission.

To the Christian review sites. Well Aichu they are Christian reviews, they are deciding what Christians would want to take their families, typically little kids too. So they are working for that audience afterall.

That's roughly my opinion. If that even made sense.
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Fri Sep 12 2008, 22:57

I think it takes away from the real story. I hate it when people radio edit the songs, but I do know that there are some very conservative people that listen to the radio (though why they would be listening to Lil Wayne or Green Day in the first place is beyond me). I think that it expresses the artist's feelings, whether it be anger or just plain whatever.
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :
    General Debate thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100General Debate thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 22:58

quater wrote:It depends.

If the person publishing the work decides to censor it, don't they have the right.

For example, if online I decide to censor a curse word, as an admin and someone in charge of this site, don't I have a right to? I am not impending on your freedoms of speech here, because it's "My" site and "I" make the rules (Not really but I am using this as an example so work with me).

Same for Publishers. They are the ones putting money into it so they have the right to decide what's published and what goes in it.

Now should people edit over your text to get rid of the cursing (Not publishers) of course not. Not without permission.

To the Christian review sites. Well Aichu they are Christian reviews, they are deciding what Christians would want to take their families, typically little kids too. So they are working for that audience afterall.

That's roughly my opinion. If that even made sense.

Mmm, I guess. I wasn't so much thinking about publishers and the likes, but the moral side of it- if the good outweighs the bad.

True, they're doing they jobs. Honestly though, there are some movies out there that are meant for mature people, not for children, and these movies acknowledge this fact. They would probably be perfectly suitable mature Christian adults, but certain websites just can't seem to get past the fact that the kiddies might find them frightening. Adults should be able to look at a movies content and decide if it's right for them, not just for the kids!

...and besides, I have some other miffs with pluggedin that go a little off topic (Er, so apparently Sponge Bob is a little too gay. Good grief. Just because he's cheerful doesn't mean he's gay. He's a sponge for crying outloud!) etc, etc. You get my point. They just act a little silly sometimes. Most of the time, though they're good.
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:00

PeinQAkatsuki wrote:I think it takes away from the real story. I hate it when people radio edit the songs, but I do know that there are some very conservative people that listen to the radio (though why they would be listening to Lil Wayne or Green Day in the first place is beyond me). I think that it expresses the artist's feelings, whether it be anger or just plain whatever.

Not in all cases.

Honestly, does a rap artist need to call women "b**chs"? It's really degrading (talk about expressing feelings, hnn?). I stand by that cursing in literature needs to have a reason for its usage. It really bugs me when songs sometimes use cursing just because.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:02

Yeah but almost all Christian Reviews are writing for families and kids alike, not for mature Christians. Maybe you could start that site eh?

Actually I personally think Spongebob is gay. Like the episode him and patrcik adopted a "Clam" and all the episodes he wears maid uniforms? I mean come on.

Besides you are using their product ^_^ They have a right to turn on and off their opinion if you don't like it, don't use it. But people use it so they must like it. ^_^

As for the moral issue. A writer should be able to write whatever he wants. If he can get a market for him let him. If you are worried about the Morals, don't read it! (I am such a capitalist)

Now forcing kids in school to read it of course to me is an entirely different matter (SUMMER ReADING!)
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:02

Aichu wrote:
    PeinQAkatsuki wrote:I think it takes away from the real story. I hate it when people radio edit the songs, but I do know that there are some very conservative people that listen to the radio (though why they would be listening to Lil Wayne or Green Day in the first place is beyond me). I think that it expresses the artist's feelings, whether it be anger or just plain whatever.

Not in all cases.

Honestly, does a rap artist need to call women "b**chs"? It's really degrading (talk about expressing feelings, hnn?). I stand by that cursing in literature needs to have a reason for its usage. It really bugs me when songs sometimes use cursing just because.
    Sometimes songs have to curse to get their feeling out. Like anger. No, I don't like it when songs call women bitches or whores or hoes or whatever. I find it degrading too. But I still love the songs for it. I prefer the unedited versions because it just seems more real to me.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:02

Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

I think it's weird how come Feminists don't get more upset about that.
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:04

quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

They're too busy listening to rap.

AHAHAHA.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:05

Aichu wrote:
    quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

AHAHAHA.

I don't know.

Then again Feminism as an ideaology no longer makes sense
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:05

quater wrote:Yeah but almost all Christian Reviews are writing for families and kids alike, not for mature Christians. Maybe you could start that site eh?

Actually I personally think Spongebob is gay. Like the episode him and patrcik adopted a "Clam" and all the episodes he wears maid uniforms? I mean come on.

Besides you are using their product ^_^ They have a right to turn on and off their opinion if you don't like it, don't use it. But people use it so they must like it. ^_^

As for the moral issue. A writer should be able to write whatever he wants. If he can get a market for him let him. If you are worried about the Morals, don't read it! (I am such a capitalist)

Now forcing kids in school to read it of course to me is an entirely different matter (SUMMER ReADING!)

B-but Patrick liked the mermaid girl! And didn't Sponge have a thing for sandy?

this is going to turn into a 'is spongebob gay?' debate, isn't it? XD
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:06

quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

I think it is too. I am a girl, but I'm not overly obsessive over women's rights. I'm all for women's rights (or else I would have gotten like thrown in jail for getting in this one dude's face earlier, quite a funny story in my opinion), but there's no reason to be overly obsessed over it. But whatever works.
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:06

quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:
    quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

AHAHAHA.

I don't know.

Yups!

I actually like early feminism. They had some good things going for them. They even opposed abortion! They were real female rolemodels!

Modern feminism on the other hand...
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:07

Aichu wrote:
    quater wrote:Yeah but almost all Christian Reviews are writing for families and kids alike, not for mature Christians. Maybe you could start that site eh?

B-but Patrick liked the mermaid girl! And didn't Sponge have a thing for sandy?

this is going to turn into a 'is spongebob gay?' debate, isn't it? XD

From what I have seen Spongebob never fell in love with anything. He may have liked her as a friend, but he never fell in love with a person. Except Maybe Mr. Krabs.

Honestly the little froon creeps me out.

Yes, Patrick did like the Mermaid, in the movie.

But he also threw his clothes off one time when he saw Squidward run by naked.

I think he just gets caught up in the moment ^_^ (My expert analysis of Patrick Star everyone...to much time on my hands)
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:08

Aichu wrote:
    quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:
    quater wrote:
    Aichu wrote:

Not in all cases.

AHAHAHA.

I don't know.

Yups!

I actually like early feminism. They had some good things going for them. They even opposed abortion! They were real female rolemodels!

Modern feminism on the other hand...

Well. Personally modern Feminism doesn't have a place really.

Like Early Feminism was for something that women lacked.

What do women lack now?
    PeinQAkatsuki
    PeinQAkatsuki
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP
    Power:

Post by PeinQAkatsuki Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:08

Most anti-anything movements are a flop these days. Though if I decide to get into the AIM thing now (it's not an instant messenger system, different acronym), then whatever. Rebellion isn't what it used to be -sighs-
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:09

General Debate thread - Page 2 AtM__JK_by_SilentReaper

Couldn't resist, sorry.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 12 2008, 23:09

PeinQAkatsuki wrote:Most anti-anything movements are a flop these days. Though if I decide to get into the AIM thing now (it's not an instant messenger system, different acronym), then whatever. Rebellion isn't what it used to be -sighs-

Weren't you one of those love rebellion types like only a few months ago? ^_^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12 2024, 18:50