WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
CLAIRVOYANTdisease
spyke543
6 posters

Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers?

spyke543
    spyke543
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 1773
    Village : Cops
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-06-19

AMP
    Natural: 224
    Power: 352
    Instinct: 301

Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Empty Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers?

Post by spyke543 Tue Sep 01 2009, 01:15

Disney to acquire Marvel in $4 billion deal
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN3143303120090831

Reuters wrote:NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co on Monday agreed to buy Marvel Entertainment Inc for $4 billion in the biggest media deal of the year, banking on Marvel's roster of superheroes to broaden its lineup of movie franchises that appeal to boys.

Disney adds Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and Thor to its roster of lovable characters like Mickey Mouse and Snow White, and will feature the comic book heroes in movies before rolling out associated theme park rides, TV shows and merchandise.

But the deal comes at a tough time in the entertainment business, with advertisers avoiding spending on new campaigns and consumers cutting back on everything from DVDs to travel.

The deal is also expensive. The price tag values Marvel at 37 times its estimated 2009 earnings, and offers shareholders a 29 percent premium to Friday's closing price. Standard & Poor's reacted by placing Disney's credit rating on its negative watchlist.

But the risk of overpaying did not deter Disney from seeking out a deal to address an area of concern among investors: How can it better reach more young males.

"This helps give Disney more important exposure to the young male demographic that they have sort of lost some ground with in recent years," said David Joyce, an analyst with Miller Tabak & Co.

Indeed, Disney has long been a blockbuster brand with girls thanks to characters such as "Hannah Montana," "Cinderella" and "Snow White," but has struggled to achieve the same kind of success with boys.

Movies including "Iron Man 2," due to hit theaters next year, or 2011's "Spider-Man 4" and "Avengers" should help resolve that issue.

Disney will also be able to use its marketing and entertainment strength -- stretching from ABC to cable television to theme parks -- to promote and build characters such as Thor in ways Marvel never could.

The deal is Disney's largest since the $7.6 billion purchase of Pixar in 2006, and it immediately caused reverberations. Shares in DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc spiked 5 percent on speculation it may become a takeover target.

And analysts raised questions about companies like Viacom Inc, Discovery Communications Inc, and Hasbro Inc that have existing business partnerships with Marvel.

UNDER-PROMISING?

To acquire Marvel, Disney agreed to pay a total of $30 per share in cash plus about 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share owned. The deal was approved by the boards of both companies.

The shares of Marvel, which was founded in 1939 and rolled out its first blockbuster character, Captain America, in 1941, shot up to a high of $49.29 before falling a bit to close at $48.37 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Disney approached Marvel a few months ago "to get to know them," Disney Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs told Reuters. The overture began with a meeting between Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger and Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter and evolved into merger discussions over a series of meetings.

"We at Disney had admired them because of their position and asset base," Staggs said. "With conversations over time we came to believe in the value of a combination."

Shares of Disney, which will acquire ownership of more than 5,000 Marvel characters, fell 3 percent to $26.04. The deal is expected to close by year-end, but will not add to Disney earnings until fiscal 2012.

The acquisition came as a surprise, even though Iger had mentioned recently the company would consider acquisitions that bolstered Disney brands across international markets and on new technology platforms.

While it could kick-start more deal making in the media sector -- where stocks have outperformed the broader Standard & Poor's 500 this year -- few analysts see another bidder making a play for Marvel.

A major reason is the presence of Marvel's Perlmutter, who owns 37 percent of the company and will oversee it within the Disney empire. Perlmutter will trade his stake in Marvel for a 1 percent stake in Disney, but will not receive a seat on its board of directors -- as did Pixar CEO Steve Jobs.

Disney executives drew a number of parallels between the Pixar and Marvel deals, and suggested it would keep the Marvel brand intact.

"The goal here is not to rebrand Marvel," Iger said on a conference call.

Caris & Co analyst David Miller said Disney was "sandbagging a little" by estimating the deal would not add to its earnings for another two years.

"They said the same thing with the Pixar deal," said Miller, who has "above average" ratings on both Disney and Marvel. "I think they will make it accretive a lot sooner. They are underpromising, as they always do."

I saw a report of this on the news when I got home. My first thought was "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?" What was you guys' first thoughts?

And I forgot to post this earlier today. Sorry about that folks.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 61517
    What's up Tab : Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Ajqwx0
    Fanclubs : Neji & Kiba
    Village : Dragon
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-26

AMP
    Natural: 700
    Power: 700
    Instinct: 700

Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Empty Re: Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers?

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 09:19

I heard that..

But does that mean like the marvel bit of Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios is gonna be moved to Disney Land or something?

I don't want any Marvel characters taking up my Jonas time on the Disney Channel :P /kidding.
    Always-Abby
    Always-Abby
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 10519
    Village : Scorpion
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-10

AMP
    Natural: 63
    Power: 63
    Instinct: 64

Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Empty Re: Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers?

Post by Always-Abby Tue Sep 01 2009, 09:22

Don't like the idea Dx
    Really don't.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Number of posts : 118119
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru! NCS WOTN Veteran Princes! Soul Eaters
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-05-21

AMP
    Natural: 56
    Power: Flood Attack
    Instinct: 50

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 14:46

Its actually really scary because Marvel and DC Comics have been pumping out fantastic Super Hero movies lately. If we lose Marvel we pretty much lose half that. And Disney is like the Federal Government. It comes in promising to help and then screws everything up.
    Do you see the reason to phear now? I saw this in a newspaper this morning and it was fearsome. Disney has become such a pathetic brand recently. Name any good movies Disney has done lately, and you'd be hard pressed to find one. If they Botch up Marvel, that'd be a real downer.

Disney has a hard time marketing to guys? Really? Really Disney? You wondering why that's not a success? Really?
    Always-Abby
    Always-Abby
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Always-Abby Tue Sep 01 2009, 14:51

^ That.
    Yoyo
    Yoyo
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 73947
    What's up Tab : Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? JK0f7
    "Shoot a mushroom I don't even know anymore."
    : Yoyo's Fanfic :
    I won't stop caring about you~ Q
    I am: the CEO of Confusion
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-10-25

AMP
    Natural: 50
    Power: Fire Fist
    Instinct: 44

Post by Yoyo Tue Sep 01 2009, 14:52

Yay Abbey! ^_^
    Always-Abby
    Always-Abby
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by Always-Abby Tue Sep 01 2009, 14:53

:DDD
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :
    Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Your friendly neighborhood... Jonas Brothers? Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 15:16

quater wrote:Its actually really scary because Marvel and DC Comics have been pumping out fantastic Super Hero movies lately. If we lose Marvel we pretty much lose half that. And Disney is like the Federal Government. It comes in promising to help and then screws everything up.
    Do you see the reason to phear now? I saw this in a newspaper this morning and it was fearsome. Disney has become such a pathetic brand recently. Name any good movies Disney has done lately, and you'd be hard pressed to find one. If they Botch up Marvel, that'd be a real downer.

Disney has a hard time marketing to guys? Really? Really Disney? You wondering why that's not a success? Really?

BOLT WAS AN AWESOME DISNEY MOVIE RECENTLY!
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 16:16

Bolt, which came out last year, I did not see because it reminded me very much so of Underdog.

Also, I am not sure how many young boys were enthralled by Bolt, but putting that aside Claira voy that's really not much of a success record if Disney's great empire can only come up with one decent movie in a couple years time.

Remember, Disney should be able to make fantastic movies. It has almost the entire kid's market cornered and it should be able to spend more on effects and original ideas then anyone.

But does anyone remember Zurf's up or whatever that was about Penguins that came out just a few months after Happy Feet did really well (I think)?
    Or The Wild that came out just a few years after Madagascar came out with almost the same storyline except without any of the humor?

In fact to prove my point even more so I will post the last five years movies of Disney and highlight any worth mentioning in my opinion:
    Race to Witch Mountain 2009 98 mins. PG
    Hannah Montana: The Movie 2009 102 mins. G
    Up 2009 86 mins. G
    Space Buddies 2009 84 mins. G
    G-Force 2009 89 mins. G
    Dadnapped 2009 90 mins. G
    Hatching Pete 2009 89 mins. G
    Tigger & Pooh and a Musical Too 2009 60 mins. NR
    Princess and the Frog, The 2009 n/a mins. G
    Ponyo 2009 n/a mins. G
    Princess Protection Program 2009 89 mins. G
    Old Dogs 2009 n/a mins. PG
    Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure 2009 n/a mins. G
    A Christmas Carol 2009 N/A mins. PG
    Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 2008 144 mins. PG
    High School Musical 3: Senior 2008 100 mins. PG
    Wall E 2008 98 mins. G
    College Road Trip 2008 83 mins. G
    Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2008 93 mins. NR
    Minutemen 2008 98 mins. G
    Camp Rock 2008 94 mins. G
    Bolt 2008 96 mins. G
    Tinker Bell 2008 70 mins. G
    Little Mermaid III - Ariel's Beginning 2008 77 mins. NR ????
    Bedtime Stories 2008 99 mins. PG
    Cheetah Girls, The: One World 2008 90 mins. G
    Snow Buddies 2008 87 mins. G
    Meet the Robinsons 2007 102 mins. G
    Goal! 2: Living the Dream 2007 115 mins. PG
    Jump In! 2007 85 mins. G
    Johnny Kapahala: Back on Board 2007 92 mins. G
    Bridge to Terabithia 2007 95 mins. PG
    Cinderella III: A Twist in Time 2007 70 mins. G
    Underdog 2007 84 mins. PG
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 2007 148 mins. PG-13
    Ratatouille 2007 110 mins. G
    Game Plan, The 2007 110 mins. PG
    Enchanted 2007 107 mins. PG
    National Treasure: Book of Secrets 2007 124 mins. PG
    High School Musical 2 2007 104 mins. PG
    Twitches Too 2007 83 mins. NR
    Secret of the Magic Gourd, The 2007 85 mins. G
    Shaggy Dog, The 2006 98 mins. PG
    Eight Below 2006 120 mins. PG
    Wild, The 2006 94 mins. G
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 2006 150 mins. PG-13
    Invincible 2006 105 mins. PG
    Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause 2006 98 mins. G
    Cars 2006 116 mins. G
    Bambi II 2006 70 mins. G
    Glory Road 2006 118 mins. PG
    Fox and the Hound 2, The 2006 69 mins. G
    Brother Bear 2 2006 70 mins. G
    High School Musical 2006 93 mins. PG
    Return to Halloweentown 2006 88 mins. NR
    Cheetah Girls 2, The 2006 96 mins. G
    Cow Belles 2006 90 mins. G
    Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior 2006 91 mins. TV-PG
    Read It And Weep 2006 84 mins. G
    Air Buddies 2006 80 mins. PG
    Herbie Fully Loaded 2005 101 mins. G
    Chicken Little 2005 81 mins. G
    Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe 2005 143 mins. PG

That's about it.

With the exception of the Chronicles of Narnia, Pirates of the Carribean, and a Pixar movie or two there hasn't been any big movies in my opinion. And they should be able to make them like crazy. They should be able to buy better script writers than any other Company. And instead they prefer not bad or bad movies but tons of them instead of really good movies. That's just distasteful. Plus, you wonder why they can't get guys attention? Maybe a third of the list didn't have the name princess in it.

And they totally ruined Chronicles of Narnia in my opinion. The book series was written with much more action which was almost all cut out. In reality, Chronicles of Narnia should of been a more obvious messaged series equivalent to that of Lord of The Rings. The Action, cinematics, excitement could of gone there, but because Disney oversaw it and for really no other reason it became a half rate decent but nothing splendid series.

And this is ignoring what Disney's done to Kid's shows.

Disney Channel which used to be a station that had funny TV shows for anyone (Even Stevens, Phil of the Future, Suite Life?,) now has nothing but absolute brain dribbling garbage. And they did the same massacre to Nickelodeon which used to have Ned's Declassified and Drake and Josh hilarities.

By the way, Clair. This rant isn't meant for you or as a response to you so much as it is me still explaining my absolute fear of the takeover of one of the few good companies by Disney. Hope you didn't take this all as a rebut to your post.

I just fear we may lose the chance at seeing a good Avengers, Ironman, Hulk series because of Disney. Not to mention Spiderman.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:04

Eh, I'm not too bothered Q! Don't worry ^__^

I love really crappy disney films anyway [or disney films everyone else probably thinks are real crappy] so my opinion is irrelevant to this

...As well as the fact I'm not a marvel/superhero fan... heh..
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:35

CLAIRVOYANTdisease wrote:Eh, I'm not too bothered Q! Don't worry ^__^

I love really crappy disney films anyway [or disney films everyone else probably thinks are real crappy] so my opinion is irrelevant to this

...As well as the fact I'm not a marvel/superhero fan... heh..

Abby said I was dead on so that's all that matters really. Maybe other people will agree with me.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:43

I never said I didn't agree with you? ._.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:46

You said you didn't like Marvel.

You said your opinion was irrelevant and you liked all the crappy Disney movies. And you weren't bothered so not to worry?

Sorry, none of that gave me the impression of agreeing with me? ^_^;; Maybe cause I'm sick.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:49

I said my opinion doesn't matter, but I didn't disagree with anything you said, even though my opinion is different.

And I don't like marvel.. but that doesn't mean I'm happy Disney bought it?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:54

Erm?
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 17:55

What?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:00

You seem a little defensive?
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:07

Uh.. no? I was explaining cause you didn't get me? :D
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:10

Still don't, but its all good.
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:15

Well I explained.

Too bad you don't understand, I mean its pretty simple.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:20

Okay? Forgive me for not understanding?
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    CLAIRVOYANTdisease
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CLAIRVOYANTdisease Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:21

Mhm.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 18:24

Thanks.
    spyke543
    spyke543
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 1773
    Village : Cops
    Happiness bar :

Registration date : 2007-06-19

AMP
    Natural: 224
    Power: 352
    Instinct: 301

Post by spyke543 Tue Sep 01 2009, 19:07

quater wrote:Its actually really scary because Marvel and DC Comics have been pumping out fantastic Super Hero movies lately. If we lose Marvel we pretty much lose half that. And Disney is like the Federal Government. It comes in promising to help and then screws everything up.

QFT. I also agree with your other post too, Q.

The way Disney appeals to me is Selena Gomez. But that's besides the point. Especially with all these new Marvel movies that're supposed to come out soon, or at least have release dates, it's bad because Disney has the potential to really mess up these movies.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Tue Sep 01 2009, 19:47

Like they messed up the Chronicles of Narnia franchise that could have been.

Disney action movies have a pattern of maybe two fights in them a movie. The reason the Marvel movies have been so awesome lately is because they have realized and incorporated into their movies lots of dramatic moments and fight scenes to keep us mindwarped throughout.

But likely Disney will try and reapply what made it so "successful" and ruin another good set of brands. The problem is Disney pretty much has only girl themed attractions, TV shows, etc now. And the reason that doesn't work is simple marketing that surprises me Disney hasn't noticed. Unless, Disney has noticed and is still trying to stuff the wrong gender based shows onto guys, too. Which is a bit mysterious what intentions could be behind that.

I know that sounded a little whackjob conspiracy but I honestly can come up with no other reason for the fact that Disney and Disney Channel have almost no guy marketing.

And to correct this they decided to botch another company rather than just fix their own stuff. Bleeeeeh!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 02:09