WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
CrispinFreemanWatcher16
Titaniumxvx
Shugo
amaterasu
GL
neon kun
Sasori Kung fu masta
Aichu
quater
13 posters

Social Studies/History

GL
    GL
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 27737
    What's up Tab : Daydreaming~

Fanclubs : WOTN birgade, Pretty People FC
    Village : Mockingbird
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-09-26

AMP
    Natural: 121
    Power: 121
    Instinct: 121

Social Studies/History - Page 2 Empty Re: Social Studies/History

Post by GL Fri Sep 26 2008, 15:46

quater wrote:
    Sasori Kung fu masta wrote:Someone wanna tell me the differents between the Sunni's and the Shiites?

*Was absent when it was explained and forgot book*

Ooops! I didn't know you posted that here! I feel I let you down.

I know tons about the slave trade but GL there is more then one slave trade. Do you mean the American Slave trade or maybe the Subsaharan Slave trade or....I mean we have quite a few.

And as for the political system in Canada isn't it Parliamentary?

the slave trade that the portugueses did. ^^
    Aichu
    Aichu
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 3180
    What's up Tab : The sky, apparently.
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-15

AMP
    Natural: 3
    Power: 3
    Instinct: 3

Post by Aichu Fri Sep 26 2008, 17:33

neon kun wrote:Parliamentary? thanks. can you expound on that? how it works, and how are the members elected? do they have a judiciary, executive and legislative branch?

I will attempt to help by explaining what little I know!

Our system of government breaks down into three levels: federal, provincial, and municipal. Our government is parliamentary, and though I'm not entirely sure how parliament works, it is broken up into the house of commons, that is the lower house, and the senate. The House of commons is made up of MPS, who are elected in their respective ridings. A Prime-Minister wins an election by having the most MPS in parliament. In other words, we don't vote for our Prime-Minister like the states does, but we vote for the MP to represent our riding. There are I think 327 seats in the house of commons (might want to look that one up). The upper house, or senate, is composed of 105 senators. The senators are not elected, but are chosen by the prime-minister.

I don't really know about you're second questions ^^; We have a legislative branch, I think, but I'm not certain of the first two.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Number of posts : 118119
    Fanclubs : Shikamaru! NCS WOTN Veteran Princes! Soul Eaters
    Village : Scorpion
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-05-21

AMP
    Natural: 56
    Power: Flood Attack
    Instinct: 50

Post by quater Fri Sep 26 2008, 20:45

CrispinFreemanWatcher16 wrote:Why were scabs unpopular with striking workers during the late 1800's?

Scabs were unpopular with striking workers because (And this is all from memory but I think!) the company bosses usually would hire black people to work during protests and and to help break up the protests and after the strikes were over they fired them. These people were known as scabs.

Whether it was someone hired to fill up spots during a strike or not Scabs were people who would work through strikes instead of following the union. They crossed the picket line instead of striking with the common man. They usually did it for money because scabs (especially blacks with discriminatory laws in place) found it very hard often to get jobs so would take these. But because they helped nullify the effects strikers had on people it was worse for them.
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 42289
    What's up Tab : yowza.
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-08-08

AMP
    Natural: 0
    Power: 0
    Instinct: 0

Post by theBOSS. Fri Sep 26 2008, 20:48

How are New England and Chesapeake colonies of the 1700s different?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 26 2008, 20:59

gaaraluvr wrote:
    quater wrote:
    Sasori Kung fu masta wrote:Someone wanna tell me the differents between the Sunni's and the Shiites?

I know tons about the slave trade but GL there is more then one slave trade. Do you mean the American Slave trade or maybe the Subsaharan Slave trade or....I mean we have quite a few.

Okay. Well I am guessing you mean the Trans Atlantic Slave trade. This is also called the Triangular trade. It was originated by the Portuguese but continued by Spanish, French, English, and Americans.

This started or was originating in the 1400's by the portuguse who would trade with Africa (While exploring) and in exchange they would get slaves (Getting slaves from Africa had been going strong since the Early Renaissance when Venice started these traditions) and the African cheifs would in return get weapons and steel. What many people do not know is that in fact it was African Cheifs who sold Africans to European explorers because they wanted money and weaponry so that they could wage war better against other tribes. So the idea of Europeans capturing africans who were out playing bongos then dragging them back to a ship is very inaccurate and we have proven it. Europeans rarely got off ships because, they were not immune to Malaria. Malaria immunizations didn't come out until the 1900's I believe so they wouldn't go to Africa but instead wait on ships. Sorry just kind of a tidbit of information many people don't know that might be useful.

So after they picked up slaves in Africa they would then take them to South America and the Carribbean (As well as occasionally North America, but in reality 500,000 slaves were sent to North America Verse Over 20 million to South America and the Carribbean). They would then sell them over to plantations/farms/colonies for the various things you do with slaves. After that they would buy or pick up wheat, barley, Sugar, spices, or whatever these colonies specialized in. North America exported a LOT of Sugar and Beer (Beer was very popular in Europe) and the Carribbean were renowned for spices. South America was essential to Sugar and Tobacco trade (North America also delved into Tabacco). Then when they returned to Europe they would pick up some steel, gunpowder, guns, whatever and do it again.

The interesting thing about the Triangular trade is that the people on the boats made money at all three stops. They would pick up slaves in Africa and sell them to the colonies, use some of that to buy crops take it to Europe and make some more cash, then go to Africa and sell the weapons and make a killing again! The people who delved in the Trans Atlantic Trade could become really wealthy quickly, but remember they also had large risks (Storms, sailing into the wrong areas, reefs in the carribbean, violence and wars). Specifically relating to slaves they were treated extremely harshly after being taken from their lands, stuffed into boats where people were literally shoulder to shoulder. However, they were fed a lot (Contrary to beliefs) And something else people didn't know is every morning they were forced to work out for an hour or few. This is because when they arrived in port they wanted their "Cargo" to be physically shape and fit otherwise they would not sell as high. But still that didn't mean things worked well typically a third of slaves died en route due mostly to diseases (Shoulder to shoulder, and if someone goes to the bathroom where does he go? That's right. There is no where to go and if he is throwing up? Same problem.) The slave trade was hideous but continued into North America until was prohibited in 1808 and other places for years after. Even after some were still smuggled through (as I said it was a very wealthy enterprise with lots of money in for it).

I hope this was helpful at least. I took World History 2 years ago, and though I knew this, I don't know if it's all correct (Though it should be).
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 26 2008, 21:10

death-chan wrote:How are New England and Chesapeake colonies of the 1700s different?

Oh boy another one for me to answer. This is 3 for 3 I guess.

Well I am not sure how helpful I will be I slept through this part but I can give you some basics.

New England was very puritanic from the influence of the pilgrims and the like. Chesapeake colonies however were much more based on economic issues and were very protestant albeit but in overall sense they were the most Religious tolerant of all the colonies. Rhode Island and Pennsylvania were in fact started by people who left the New England colony puritanism in hopes of making colonies that were religious tolerant. William Penn disliked the treatment of Quakers so he made Pennsylvania a paradise for them (And it still is today as we all know).

In economic terms the differences are striking. People who moved to the Middle Colonies (Another term for them) came in because they were hoping to get rich. After Jamestown was founded and whethered the severe winters John Rolfe started the begginings (I screwed up Begins) of Tobacco and sugar crops which would become essential to the colonies survival. People who moved to the Chesapeake colonies were typically young. They didn't move here to start a family (like the New England colonies) but instead were moving here to make cash money quick then maybe move back. Interestingly this is the very reason why the taxation by British was so important in the Revolution because if you look it was the middle colonies that started a lot of the trouble. This was because Britain was cutting into their cash money flow which was what they would move there for. It was like, you are used to getting free ice cream every day at a store then you have to start paying a tax on the free ice cream. You'd be like, HEY!

This is about as much as I can remember. Hope it was helpful. Remember I slept in that class until about the French and Indian war so all before that is just bare memories.
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Number of posts : 37490
    Fanclubs : NaruHina & SasuSaku FC,WOTN Veteran Princes
    Village : Military
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue98 / 10098 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-08-16

AMP
    Natural: 11
    Instinct: 11

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Fri Sep 26 2008, 22:11

oh ok thanks Q^^
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Fri Sep 26 2008, 22:12

You are welcome!
    neon kun
    neon kun
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 26013
    What's up Tab : Social Studies/History - Page 2 Starbucks-1

BE A FUNKY LLAMA.
    Fanclubs : nOOb control FC, WoTN Veteran Princes FC
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-11-27

AMP

Post by neon kun Sat Sep 27 2008, 04:24

Aichu wrote:
    neon kun wrote:Parliamentary? thanks. can you expound on that? how it works, and how are the members elected? do they have a judiciary, executive and legislative branch?

I will attempt to help by explaining what little I know!

Our system of government breaks down into three levels: federal, provincial, and municipal. Our government is parliamentary, and though I'm not entirely sure how parliament works, it is broken up into the house of commons, that is the lower house, and the senate. The House of commons is made up of MPS, who are elected in their respective ridings. A Prime-Minister wins an election by having the most MPS in parliament. In other words, we don't vote for our Prime-Minister like the states does, but we vote for the MP to represent our riding. There are I think 327 seats in the house of commons (might want to look that one up). The upper house, or senate, is composed of 105 senators. The senators are not elected, but are chosen by the prime-minister.

I don't really know about you're second questions ^^; We have a legislative branch, I think, but I'm not certain of the first two.

*smiles* thank you. i appreciate it. ^^
    GL
    GL
    Citizen

Female

Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by GL Sat Sep 27 2008, 06:19

quater wrote:
    gaaraluvr wrote:
    quater wrote:

Okay. Well I am guessing you mean the Trans Atlantic Slave trade. This is also called the Triangular trade. It was originated by the Portuguese but continued by Spanish, French, English, and Americans.

This started or was originating in the 1400's by the portuguse who would trade with Africa (While exploring) and in exchange they would get slaves (Getting slaves from Africa had been going strong since the Early Renaissance when Venice started these traditions) and the African cheifs would in return get weapons and steel. What many people do not know is that in fact it was African Cheifs who sold Africans to European explorers because they wanted money and weaponry so that they could wage war better against other tribes. So the idea of Europeans capturing africans who were out playing bongos then dragging them back to a ship is very inaccurate and we have proven it. Europeans rarely got off ships because, they were not immune to Malaria. Malaria immunizations didn't come out until the 1900's I believe so they wouldn't go to Africa but instead wait on ships. Sorry just kind of a tidbit of information many people don't know that might be useful.

So after they picked up slaves in Africa they would then take them to South America and the Carribbean (As well as occasionally North America, but in reality 500,000 slaves were sent to North America Verse Over 20 million to South America and the Carribbean). They would then sell them over to plantations/farms/colonies for the various things you do with slaves. After that they would buy or pick up wheat, barley, Sugar, spices, or whatever these colonies specialized in. North America exported a LOT of Sugar and Beer (Beer was very popular in Europe) and the Carribbean were renowned for spices. South America was essential to Sugar and Tobacco trade (North America also delved into Tabacco). Then when they returned to Europe they would pick up some steel, gunpowder, guns, whatever and do it again.

The interesting thing about the Triangular trade is that the people on the boats made money at all three stops. They would pick up slaves in Africa and sell them to the colonies, use some of that to buy crops take it to Europe and make some more cash, then go to Africa and sell the weapons and make a killing again! The people who delved in the Trans Atlantic Trade could become really wealthy quickly, but remember they also had large risks (Storms, sailing into the wrong areas, reefs in the carribbean, violence and wars). Specifically relating to slaves they were treated extremely harshly after being taken from their lands, stuffed into boats where people were literally shoulder to shoulder. However, they were fed a lot (Contrary to beliefs) And something else people didn't know is every morning they were forced to work out for an hour or few. This is because when they arrived in port they wanted their "Cargo" to be physically shape and fit otherwise they would not sell as high. But still that didn't mean things worked well typically a third of slaves died en route due mostly to diseases (Shoulder to shoulder, and if someone goes to the bathroom where does he go? That's right. There is no where to go and if he is throwing up? Same problem.) The slave trade was hideous but continued into North America until was prohibited in 1808 and other places for years after. Even after some were still smuggled through (as I said it was a very wealthy enterprise with lots of money in for it).

I hope this was helpful at least. I took World History 2 years ago, and though I knew this, I don't know if it's all correct (Though it should be).
    woah, you remebered all this? o.O incredible. I\'m Dead
    well thanks a lot! :D i will try to use some of this to my story. ^^
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sat Sep 27 2008, 13:13

Yes this all came from memory Glz (Naw it's not incredible)

Yep Hope it was helpful.
    GL
    GL
    Citizen

Female

Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by GL Sat Sep 27 2008, 15:25

it is incredible. :O

yes it was, thank a lot! ^^
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sat Oct 04 2008, 13:04

Euh, what was the system of trade in North Carolina colony, as well as relationship with Native Americans, social hierarchy, dress, family structure, social life, and recreation?
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sat Oct 04 2008, 13:11

Death what the freedom kinda question is that?

No one knows that (Or I hope not) you're gonna have to go research that kinda obscurity
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sat Oct 04 2008, 13:29

If I told that to my History teacher she'd give me detention T_T
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue98 / 10098 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

AMP

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Sat Oct 04 2008, 13:50

thats a freakin hard ques.
    spyke543
    spyke543
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 1773
    Village : Cops
    Happiness bar :
    Social Studies/History - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Social Studies/History - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-06-19

AMP
    Natural: 224
    Power: 352
    Instinct: 301

Post by spyke543 Sat Oct 04 2008, 22:08

death-chan wrote:Euh, what was the system of trade in North Carolina colony, as well as relationship with Native Americans, social hierarchy, dress, family structure, social life, and recreation?

Uh, I looked it up. Hope it helps at least a little bit.

http://www.usahistory.info/southern/North-Carolina.html

Poor you deathy. Even my teacher didn't make us beat the hell outta the colonies as much as your teacher did. And trust me, we're beating it up pretty bad.
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sat Oct 04 2008, 22:21

HOLY CRUDMUFFINS THANK YOU SPYKE.

Yeah. There's no way in hell I'm taking AP US History next year, I'm so going to choose AP Physics C -_-
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sat Oct 04 2008, 22:46

AP Us History isn't that bad or it wasn't for me...

But then again I am a 5er!
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sat Oct 04 2008, 22:58

But isn't memorizing dates and names and events so traumatizing..? o_O
    NERD.
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    CrispinFreemanWatcher16
    Citizen

Female
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by CrispinFreemanWatcher16 Sun Oct 05 2008, 13:22

You have world history this yr death?
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sun Oct 05 2008, 13:34

naw us history.
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sun Oct 05 2008, 13:44

death-chan wrote:But isn't memorizing dates and names and events so traumatizing..? o_O
    NERD.

It's easy.

Hard crap is like learning Calculus. I mean what the freedom man just what the freedom!
    theBOSS.
    theBOSS.
    Citizen

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by theBOSS. Sun Oct 05 2008, 15:13

I'd rather do Calc than AP History
    quater
    quater
    Hezi
    Hezi

Male
    Happiness bar :

AMP

Post by quater Sun Oct 05 2008, 16:12

You're crazy. ^_^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10 2024, 09:43