WOTNOPOLIS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religious Opinion in Class / Opposing Views

PsYcHo.CrAzY.
    PsYcHo.CrAzY.
    Citizen

Male
    Number of posts : 1098
    What's up Tab : I feel SUPER almost amazing.
    Village : Mockingbird
    Happiness bar :
    Religious Opinion in Class / Opposing Views Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100Religious Opinion in Class / Opposing Views Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-26

AMP
    Natural: 10
    Power: 10
    Instinct: 10

Religious Opinion in Class / Opposing Views Empty Religious Opinion in Class / Opposing Views

Post by PsYcHo.CrAzY.

Alright, I know this is a heavy topic and all, but should religious ideas / personal beliefs be discussed in class? Surely in a debate that would present a biased view, and alter the balance between the two sides. In my Spanish class we were discussing Abortion. Although both sides of the issue gave decent reasonings for what they believed, there was always one student who said that babies should not be killed because it is bad "according to the bible." I don't mean to go against any beliefs, especially christianity (seeing as I'm raised in a christian enviroment) but doesn't that take it too far? I really don't see any way to argue "because it's the christian thing to do". I don't want to say "well, since I don't believe in that, it MUST be okay to kill babies" because then it will seem as though I have no sense of moral justice. Should it even matter if I say that or not?

And just because it relates to what I said above, is it really all that okay to express your opinion and not care what others think? Without thinking, most people would say yes, because there will always be those who like you for you, etc etc. But what if you don't like these people that like you, what if it means giving up your significant other? Then is it worth expressing your personal opinion? What if it means being shunned from society, or hated? Would you go to live on your own? Modern psychology teaches us that this would be a terrible form of torture, for humans have a NEED, a NEED to belong. But we also want to make ourselves unique to others, and have different views on how things work. So really, is it okay? Is it a good thing to not care what others think about you?

Thanks to those who read my wordy rant, and thanks again to anyone who submits their opinion. I will read them all Happy
    Share this post on: reddit

quater

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 17:10 by quater

"is it really all that okay to express your opinion and not care what others think"

Yes.
    PsYcHo.CrAzY.

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 18:20 by PsYcHo.CrAzY.

quater wrote:"is it really all that okay to express your opinion and not care what others think"

Yes.
    Haha Quater you have to explain your reasoning
    Lunami

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 18:22 by Lunami

First off... that was Spanish class? Why did the teacher let things get so carried away as to let it divert into a discussion like abortion?
    amaterasu

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 21:40 by amaterasu

Majoring in Biblical Studies and History. I can say that expressing one's views regardless of the recipients personal views is a good thing. Because it adds that deeper connection that connects people or adds depth to a conversation.

You won't disregard a person because he/she is a different coloured person. So why would you disregard a person of different religious views?

Doesn't mean everyone is right though
    quater

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 21:43 by quater

PsYcHo.CrAzY. wrote:
    quater wrote:"is it really all that okay to express your opinion and not care what others think"

Yes.

Right is still right.
    KarateKeyaQ

Post Tue Sep 07 2010, 22:09 by KarateKeyaQ

I don't think that kid was wrong to say that. It was just his/her opinion.
    I could easily argue by saying, "I don't believe in the bible."

Yeah, how did a Spanish class turn into abortion theories!?
    Lunami

Post Wed Sep 08 2010, 01:10 by Lunami

No kidding KKQ.

Anyway, back to subject. One can always express their opinions, it's just that. Regardless of any potential social negative reputation that may occur. People with socially unacceptable opinions have just as much right (right as in human right, not so much those of a country will allow) to voice and have them as those who don't.

May sound weird... but I'm tired... may clarify tomorrow after I wake up (yay edit button) when I'm thinking more clearly.
    Banouin

Post Wed Sep 08 2010, 16:23 by Banouin

PsYcHo.CrAzY. wrote:

Yes.

No he does not.
    amaterasu

Post Wed Sep 08 2010, 21:12 by amaterasu

Banouin wrote:
    PsYcHo.CrAzY. wrote:

Yes.

No he does not.

He could make a manly gesture though by helping out someone who doesn't understand
    PsYcHo.CrAzY.

Post Sat Sep 11 2010, 23:20 by PsYcHo.CrAzY.

Lunami wrote:First off... that was Spanish class? Why did the teacher let things get so carried away as to let it divert into a discussion like abortion?

No she gives us a topic and we rant about it in Spanish. It didn't divert at all
    KarateKeyaQ

Post Sun Sep 12 2010, 12:45 by KarateKeyaQ

PsYcHo.CrAzY. wrote:
    Lunami wrote:First off... that was Spanish class? Why did the teacher let things get so carried away as to let it divert into a discussion like abortion?

No she gives us a topic and we rant about it in Spanish. It didn't divert at all
    You guys must learn differently than us Michigan-ers.
    Lunami

Post Wed Sep 15 2010, 13:31 by Lunami

KarateKeyaQ wrote:
    PsYcHo.CrAzY. wrote:

You guys must learn differently than us Michigan-ers.

Or the teacher just likes to start things. My class did that once because some kid started preaching to the class. It turned into the worst YHVH debate I've ever witnessed. Someone almost threw a desk. Teacher took order before that happened.

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 20:43